The Legend of Vidya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The First Chapter: How Do We Start This?

4 posters

Go down

The First Chapter: How Do We Start This? Empty The First Chapter: How Do We Start This?

Post  Sir Spritefag Sun May 06, 2012 3:35 pm

I think it`s about time we start focusing on the main plot of the game. We have a lot of good ideas circling arouind, but we still haven`t come up with a way the game starts.
What character(s) do we start with? What events will happen that will lead them do the various locations we've created? Where do the other characters come in?
The beginning of any game is very important as it needs to draw in the player.
We also need to work the story so we can add some sort of an optional tutorial to explain action commands and such. Just an idea, but it could be two characters training or somehting.
That could work with 343 and Bungie or Nintendo and Sega. Just an idea, I'm sure you guys could come up with something better than me.

An idea I had is that EA's plot to take over the world or cause a second crash or whatever would come up a bit later in the story in an early/mid chapter, while the first chapters would be focused on the console wars. Y'know, relations between Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and the Console's influence on the PC continent as well.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

https://tlov.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

The First Chapter: How Do We Start This? Empty Re: The First Chapter: How Do We Start This?

Post  laramiecorp Sun May 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Main Character roams around in a simple village and does easy quests (to implement a tutorial) and eventually the plot is kicked off by lets say a big freeze in the village because of the lack of memory resources (which is being taken up by the ongoing conflicts elsewhere) and it just so happened that the main character didn't get affected by it and now his journey begins.

oh and also i just thought that the in-game currency should be bytes / megabytes / etc. instead of gold or something.

laramiecorp

Back to top Go down

The First Chapter: How Do We Start This? Empty Re: The First Chapter: How Do We Start This?

Post  Sir Spritefag Sun May 06, 2012 4:09 pm

I was thinking it would be points. Yknow like score in arcade games and platformers and whatnot.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Chartographer Mon May 07, 2012 2:03 am

Why don't we make the tutorial this epic depiction of the Bit Wars where a young Nintendo is trying to pick up the pieces after the crash of '83. This could work to both drawing the player in while at the same time foreshadowing the incoming crash of EA's actions.

The Chartographer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Mon May 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Hm... I have an idea for that. It could be Nintendo climbing the northern Empire Summit to reach a temple at the top (Maybe we can base it off ROB as he played a part in ending the crash as well) where he crafts the legendary sword "Marimasa" which he uses to rid the console world of darkness.
After that, a young fighter approaches him and challenges him to a fight. The fighter being none other than a young Sega. They attack eachother, freeze frame, then it flash forwards to the present with nintendo and sega in the same poses, ready to spar.
Then we start the main story with something like that.
Oh and in the flashback we could have a weakened Atari give Nintendo some advice. He can be the optional tutorial guy.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Chartographer Tue May 08, 2012 6:47 am

I fucking love that idea, but I was thinking we should have their showdown take place in the middle of a battlefield or at least have the summit over look one.

Oh and for stylistic effect we start off with the sparring battle between the old Nintendo and Sega. They have a very vague discussion about how Nintendo is King and Sega has been bumped down to a mere Lord, but it's implied they feel the past is in the past and they hold no resentment towards it. As the spar begins and the battle screen pops up, we get a a quick flash back of the two as they were preparing to face off long ago atop the summit overlooking a tremendous battlefield. In fact it looks incredibly identical aside from a few graying hairs and the fact that the background isn't on fire. When the Player selects their first attack and the animation plays out, it flashes back again to that same battle and the move the Player selected is shown in that time. This happens a couple more times until the flashback is permanent and the Player is reliving the climactic showdown between these two titans at the height of their war. This is to foreshadow, yet again, that history can repeat itself.

The Chartographer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Tue May 08, 2012 2:25 pm

see, now that's how you make a cinematic experience without hindering gameplay.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Chartographer Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 am

The only problem I see with this is that we may need to find another place to put Atari's tutorial.

The Chartographer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Thu May 10, 2012 5:54 pm

We could have it that Atari supports Nintendo on his quest, but has been too weakened to join him. So he offers to teach him some advanced fighting techniques to help him on his way.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvergun1 Thu May 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Or maybe we could have Magnavox be the one to do it instead, really, since he was the one who originally controlled, well, the Odyssey kingdom, which came before Atari's own kingdom.

Silvergun1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Thu May 10, 2012 6:50 pm

It seems i'm not that well versed on vidya history cause I didn't know that. But that works.
Also just gonna throw out there that Nintendo's weapon before he gets Marimasa should be the Kong's Hammer.
"A legendary hammer that strikes fear in the hearts of barrels everywhere."

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvergun1 Thu May 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Also, you know how Nintendo was a playing-card-making company before it became a video game company? We could make it so that King Nintendo was some kind of lowly gambler or just a very good poker player before he completely changed his life around in another direction and became the hero he was. Oh, and isn't it the Mariomasa, not the Marimasa or Marimune?

Silvergun1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Thu May 10, 2012 7:14 pm

I just thought Marimasa rolled off the tongue more than Mariomasa while still being able to tell that it's based off Mario.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down