The Legend of Vidya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dem characters, general thoughts

+2
Sir Spritefag
LemanRuss
6 posters

Go down

Dem characters, general thoughts Empty Dem characters, general thoughts

Post  LemanRuss Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:02 pm

>Been there when this all started, made some of the first suggesstions, pretty impressed how this is going.

However I see a problem with this whole concept and that is that you are basing it off the initial character chart.
Do you really want to incorporate every of the around 200 characters that have been gathered yet, let alone put their backstories and company-relationships together in a fitting way for an RPG?
Because if yes, this game is gonna be huge.
And /v/ needed years for a visual novel.
Of course it would be awesome to have all those developers in the game, but I would say that many of them might only be incorporated in books/stories/dialogue etc. without actually being in the game.

Also I see the discussion about the engine on which the game should run on going, is it even clear yet what type of game is gonna be made? I'd go for a classical RPG with Zelda 1-style (mayyyybe, Lttp-style) sprite graphics, because if this shit's going 3D, I doubt it will even be started.
It could have drawn backgrounds and classical written cutscenes, which would also make voice acting needless.
The music should be doable, we could also use music from other games, especially from significant titles related to the company the story is about. E.g. Xenoblade music playing when you travel the kingdom of Nintendo searching for Monolith and Zelda music when you enter the King's palace. (Which should really be a Hyrule reference), as the game's breaking copyrights with every single company name used anyway.

LemanRuss

Back to top Go down

Dem characters, general thoughts Empty Re: Dem characters, general thoughts

Post  Sir Spritefag Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Of course we won't be using EVERY character. We have to keep this game's goals realistic. The least interesting will be cut from the list as part of the orginization phase and many will be referenced in books, dialogue etc just as you stated.
We haven't come up with a concrete idea for the gameplay but the general idea is that it would probably be an RPG or something.
As for engine, there was a programmer interested in the game if it gets more organized. Otherwise, we'll stick to something simple like RPGMaker or Game Maker.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

https://tlov.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  The Chartographer Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:21 pm

If anything, we could throw the unimportant characters as short cameo appearances. Like a mention here, or a reference there. If I recall correctly, quite a few characters were listed as simple shop owners and farmers and whathaveyou.

The Chartographer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennys Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:36 pm

We need to get together at a certain time and decide on a basic plot that we can link to certain characters. If the game is party based we should make a few up-and-coming developers as party members. Platinum immediately comes to mind when you think of it like that.

Have those that aren't really linked with the main cast be put in as NPCs.

Dennys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Retro is another good choice as a relatively new dev with a great track record. also has a major connection to one of the major powers.

I'll set up an event for one day so we can go on some sort of a chat client and brainstorm this specific subject. I'll keep you all posted.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peasant Anon Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:18 am

Sir Spritefag wrote:Of course we won't be using EVERY character. We have to keep this game's goals realistic. The least interesting will be cut from the list as part of the orginization phase and many will be referenced in books, dialogue etc just as you stated.
We haven't come up with a concrete idea for the gameplay but the general idea is that it would probably be an RPG or something.
As for engine, there was a programmer interested in the game if it gets more organized. Otherwise, we'll stick to something simple like RPGMaker or Game Maker.
I love the idea of events and other stuff being referenced in books, notes, etc.
(i.e the Demise of Ensemble and Pandemic Studios, etc.)
Adds a nice touch.

Peasant Anon

Back to top Go down

Post  Genkitompouce Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:10 am

The player can be the last spark of the great force called "creativity" which explains why many companies want involvement in you story, and you can either bring the world to a new crash or something else?

And What if we ask /v/ about Names for the characters? And add disclaimers that we are only basing their appearance and names from an anonymous imageboard? I feel that is one important thing we need to sort out.

Genkitompouce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:27 pm

I like the "Creativity" idea. It's an interesting spin on the whole "Chosen One" cliche.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Chartographer Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:26 am

I was thinking since this whole story dedicates at least 2 chapters to recounting the history of video games, we should have some of our later chapter's villains (EA, Capcom, Bioware) start off as the some of the most honorable and valiant characters of the early chapters. They can still be the ancient evils of the realm, but their current states will be depicted as more of a tragic deterioration from the eyes of former fans than baseless hatred from angry internet tough guys.

The Chartographer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:26 am

yeah, that would be a good way to incorporate the MC throughout the game.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down