The Legend of Vidya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Elements

2 posters

Go down

The Elements Empty The Elements

Post  Sir Spritefag Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Elemental systems are a staple of the RPG genre. Whether they're minor things that only effect a few enemies, like Final Fantasy, or the game is built around them, like Pokemon, they're in nearly every game.
So of course TLOV will be no exception.
But of course, we have to fit it within the theme.
So what I propose is instead of having the basic Fire, Ice, Electric, whatever elements, we use the different genres of video games as the elements.
We should'nt have too many. Only the broad genres should be used.
RPG, Platformer, Shooter, Strategy, Puzzle, Racing, Sports, Fighting, Survival-Horror (maybe?), Adventure, Rhythm and Party.
Monsters, weapons and skills will be organized by the genre of the game they represent. Like pokemon, some monsters will have a dual typing as many games combine genres.
The tricky part would be coming up with matchups for the elements. Of course, it's not as obvious as Fire beating Ice and the like.
Send me some suggestions on matchups and which genres should be used.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

https://tlov.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

The Elements Empty Re: The Elements

Post  The Chartographer Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:00 am

Well why do we need to have matchups? Couldn't we have them all offer some unique quirk to combat that doesn't make them easily comparable to each other? After all, you could debate whether Shooters are fundamentally better than RPGs all day and you wouldn't get anywhere.

I was thinking we could make each element alter the combat in a way that represents their genre. However that could very well make the game a whole lot more complex, so if you want to hear me out let me know

The Chartographer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Could you expand on that, maybe give some examples?

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Chartographer Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:19 am

What I had come up with turned out to be a sort of class system which I guess makes it more like Pokemon in that monsters and characters are defined by their “Types” rather than individual elemental spells. I don’t know, here’s what I came up with for now.

Spoiler:

The Chartographer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Spritefag Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Ok, ok i think i see where you're coming from.
It's not exactly elemental types, more like weapon classes. Still, i think it's a great idea.
Each weapon type will have its own style of action commands, rather than it being specific to each weapon.

Sir Spritefag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum